List out your highs and lows of the following year-
Since we’re already in the eighth month of 2016, a lot has happened, and a lot is yet to happen.
I believe that the best is yet to come, but 2016 has been a year of unfamiliarity. Let me start off with the Highs of 2016.
- I graduated high school on January 23rd, 2016, right at the beginning of the year. Everything about senior year was a highlight, literally, everything. I had gotten so comfortable there that I never wanted to leave. I have some unforgettable moments from that place: those that I’ll carry everywhere I go and those that will be a major part of the stories I’ll tell my grandkids about the life in 2016. Arguably, senior year was the best year of my life.
- I scored a 92 percentage in my ICSE examination, which I am extremely proud of because it’s hard and the amount of effort you need to put in is a lot, and it’s also important to do well because it determines the college you get to attend.
- This is probably the first time in three years that I made as many friends as I did this month, mostly because in a new college you meet so many new people every day, and I’d like to make more friends and make the best out of my two years of pre-university.
- My dad moved to Pondicherry from Hyderabad (in case you’re a little weak in geography those are cities in India) and I’m happy about this because Pondicherry is closer to where I live than Hyderabad is, so I can visit him more often, and also because Pondicherry has amazing beaches.
As I said, I’m only getting started, and the best is yet to come!
Lows of 2016:
- Leaving high school – This was extremely hard for me because I was so familiar with it and the deviation from a routine that I carried on for 12 years was difficult to get accustomed to. I feel like I left a part of myself in that dingy, pre-independent stone building. I miss being there; it’s the only place where I actually felt like I fit in.
- Hectic schedule – I’ve chosen the science stream for my pre-university course and it’s so bloody hard, my first class at college begins at 8.50 am and it ends at 3.10 p.m., then I have a couple of hours off, after which I need to rush to coaching sessions for engineering entrance tests which are from 5.30 pm to 9.30 pm every day until the summer of 2018. I have lost myself in this crazy whirlwind; I don’t even remember the last time I looked at the sky because the weather is so unpleasant.
- Meeting people – I just realized that some of my highs and lows are overlapping. There was a certain number of people (okay, it was one person) who walked into my life unexpectedly, out of nowhere, and what we shared was beautiful. I’ll always remember how I felt when I was with that person, how happy I was, how funny I felt, how smart I sounded, but that person also made me feel emotionally weak and vulnerable, almost pathetically gullible, and when this person walked out of my life, they also took with them the part of me that felt all these things and left me exposed emotionally, which I hate because I’m not an expressive person and when you are not a generally expressive person, any sign of emotion you reveal will be deemed as a weakness. It’s been a while and I’m over it, but I am unsure of whether this is a high or a low point of my life, because it made me feel both happy and sad at the same time; I’ll forever wonder which emotion was stronger.
These were my highs and lows of the present year so far. Do let me know yours below and if any of mine overlap with yours.